The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Logistics Manager opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor's degree and 5+ years of logistics management experience; non-degreed candidates with 10+ years of directly relevant experience will be considered.
- A solid background in and understanding of integrated logistics, including transportation, distribution and warehousing standard practices
- A track record of success transforming a distribution center into a highly efficient operation with full 5S methodology
- Demonstrated background in all aspects of transportation, freight contracts and international distribution
- Experience in managing a variety of individuals with diverse backgrounds, including full-time employees, contractors, and outsourced third party logistics providers (3PLs)
- The ability to design warehouse flow and develop productivity/scheduling tools
- Strong understanding of various transportation modes (ocean, LTL, parcel)
- Experience managing 3PL operations
- Strong familiarity with warehouse management systems (WMSs) and bar code scanning technology
- An understanding of ERP systems
- Exceptional and demonstrated management skills, with the ability to successfully manage hourly employees, including both regular and temporary employees
- The ability to work well at all levels in an organization
- Experience developing logistics processes/procedures for entry into new global markets is strongly preferred
- Experience with trade compliance is a plus
The RoleReporting to the Vice President, Operations, you will lead the global Logistics function at Aspen Medical Products. This will include overseeing a team including a Shipping/Inventory Control Manager, Warehouse/Receiving Supervisor, warehouse employees and contractors, and a Trade Compliance Analyst, in addition to our 3PL partners.
In addition to supervising day-to-day logistics activities, you will lead a number of initiatives and projects to facilitate significant growth domestically and, in particular, internationally. The overall goal will be to develop our capability to support sales and marketing in the various markets. This will include:
- Collaborating with Sales, Marketing and Customer Service to understand the unique requirements for each new market
- Assessing the best way to serve each market, such as whether to establish a single distribution center or multiple ones
- Determining the right mix of internal and outsourced responsibilities for each market, essentially driving "make/buy" decisions
- Conducting RFQs to assess potential 3PL and transportation services
- Negotiating logistics contracts and pricing
- Analyzing costs and ROI
- Developing models for implementation
- Ensuring we and our partners are in compliance with all local, regional and international regulations
- Engaging consultants as necessary
- And more
- Manage the logistics function to efficiently and effectively meet customers' expectations and Aspen business goals
- Ensure a lean, optimized supply chain by modeling the supply chain network and recommending distribution capabilities that have the fastest customer fulfillment with the lowest total landed cost
- Drive warehouse excellence into each distribution center facility to have efficient and effective receiving, inventory control, and pick/pack/ship operations with high inventory accuracy
- Manage the transportation network to achieve the lowest overall landed cost by selecting strong partners that deliver timely
- Provide value added distribution functions to meet customers' and/or Operations goals, such as a partners program, secondary labeling, kitting, etc.
- Drive and achieve good distribution practices as updated by ISO or various regulatory agencies
- Oversee the trade compliance function
What's in It for YouStrategic impact
We have sound processes and a strong team in place for handling daily operations, which will give you more time to focus on the future vision. You will make your mark from beginning to end as you execute, from pulling together meetings to starting up operations to tracking metrics.
As you can see under The Role tab, there will be plenty of interesting projects. In addition, understanding of best practices in warehouse management systems (WMS) will help as we convert processes to utilize more automation.
Build a career home
We are proactive about professional development and succession planning. This includes investing in ways to enhance our culture and promote development of both technical and leadership skills. Success in this role could set you up to take on additional responsibilities and/or to pursue advancement in the company.
Award-winning products enhance the quality of people's lives
Backed by over 25 years of R&D, Aspen Medical Products help patients cope with chronic conditions, manage pain, and heal faster (see testimonials in the video above). Our innovative approach and strong business model have earned us distinctions. In addition to the workplace excellence awards mentioned above, we have won:
- Several Spine Technology Awards from Orthopedics This Week.
- The American Technology Award, in the medical device category, from TechAmerica Foundation.
- Awards for delivering exceptional service as a vendor, from Hanger/SPS, a leading distributor of orthotic and prosthetic patient care and therapeutic products, services and solutions.
- And others.
You will find a close-knit culture that values mutual respect at Aspen. The numerous "Best Places to Work" awards we've won represent high levels of employee satisfaction (as reported by employees) as well as excellence in benefits, pay, work/life balance and culture.
Our Employee Council puts together a variety of events that enhance teamwork and allow us to have fun. We might go to see the Angels play, go bowling or spend the day at Knott's Berry Farm. Your family is enthusiastically invited to these events and each event is 100% paid for by the company. The destinations for our company trips vary. We might head for Palm Desert, Las Vegas or Santa Barbara . . . or maybe you'll suggest a destination. We also get involved in community and philanthropic activities, as you can see in the video.
Competitive benefits package
The health, satisfaction and security of you and your family are important to your well-being and important to us. We offer a competitive salary and bonus potential; medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family; life insurance; paid vacation; and a 401(k) plan with company match.
Video: Aspen Medical Products has been involved with the Challenged Athletes Foundation since 2000. Through donation, fundraising and volunteering, Aspen employees unify to support the CAF in numerous ways. Since 2009, Aspen has held the privilege of being the title sponsor of the Aspen Medical Products San Diego Triathlon Challenge.
Keys to SuccessThis is a role for a well-rounded logistics professional who has the vision as well as the leadership skills to execute on it. You'll need excellent planning and project management skills along with the ability to manage multiple activities and priorities. In addition, to be an outstanding Logistics Manager, you will:
- Bring a process improvement focus
- Leverage technological savvy to optimize efficiencies
- Influence and motivate team members in multiple functional areas, without depending on formal authority
- Build relationships with external partners, clarifying expectations and holding them accountable
- Support your direct reports, empowering them and helping them achieve professional goals
About UsTruly Innovative Patient Care for the Upper and Lower Spine
Founded in 1993, Aspen Medical Products is a leader in the design, development and marketing of upper and lower spinal orthotics. The Company is located in Irvine, California and has sales representatives throughout the United States as well as representation worldwide. For over twenty years, the management team and employees at Aspen have introduced a continuous flow of pioneering spinal bracing products and services to the healthcare marketplace. Aspen is a U.S. based company that is debt free and privately owned.
We make the best spinal braces in the world and run a company we can be proud of.
Goals from the Beginning
- Develop the best products in the industry.
- Develop products that enhance the quality of life.
- Have a culture where employees are respected, have input, and are part of the team.
- Be a company where employees look forward to coming to work each day.