The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Assistant Controller opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, and a CPA or CMA. An MBA is preferred.
- 10+ years of directly related experience, including supervision of degreed and non-degreed accounting staff.
- Experience with accounting for and consolidating international subsidiaries.
- Technical proficiency in all facets of accounting, financial reporting, credit, collections, accounts receivable/payable and sales tax.
- Experience in automating /streamlining procedures.
- Computer proficiency, including:
- Experience with multiple accounting platforms.
- Strong skills in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- An understanding of ERP systems and their multi-functional interfaces.
- Experience in manufacturing environments is a plus.
- Proven strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate others.
- A strong service orientation.
- Solid communication and interpersonal abilities, and the ability to work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with objectivity and discretion.
Role OverviewNote: this is a high level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Reporting to the Controller, you will provide leadership for the General Accounting Manager, who oversees a team of two Accountants, and the Accounting Operations Manager, with a team of four Specialists in AR, AP and credit & collections.
You will be responsible for the execution and management of the accounting resources required to perform the following core activities: general accounting, accounting for international operations, management reporting, accounts payable and receivable, credit and collections, tax compliance, cash forecasting and payroll support. This will include direct responsibility for:
- The execution of financial systems and comprehensive controls intended to mitigate risk, ensuring the accuracy and timing of internal and externally reported financial results.
- Ensuring that all financial and statutory reporting is compliant with generally accepted accounting principles, relevant international financial reporting standards and applicable tax law.
Other areas of focus will include:
- Assuming responsibility for all tax compliance and reporting, including coordinating with external partners regarding tax returns, sales & use tax, VAT, etc.
- Identifying and driving process improvements and efficiencies, helping us transition to a paper-free environment.
- Supporting the Accounting Operations Manager in automating AR, AP and credit & collections processes.
- Helping in the acquisition and implementation of a new ERP system.
Pictured: Aspen Fit. Aspen Quality. Aspen Advantage. The Horizon™ 456 is designed to provide motion restriction, creating a dynamic environment for healing within the thoracolumbar and lumbar spine.
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of responsibilities. To get the 30,000 foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
As Assistant Controller, you will:
- Maintain the general ledger and execute the preparation and retention of accurate and timely monthly/quarterly/annual financial management reporting for all domestic and international reporting entities within Aspen.
- Execute all necessary financial processes, policies, procedures and controls to ensure compliance with GAAP, international financial reporting standards and all applicable tax laws for all of Aspen's domestic and international reporting entities.
- Under the direction of the Controller, globally execute financial reporting, accounts receivable/payable, credit and collections, tax compliance, cash forecasting, payroll support and supporting the completion of the company's annual financial review consistent with company goals and objectives.
- Provide information to support the implementation of Aspen's annual world-wide budget and coordinate the completion of standard and project based financial analysis as required.
- With the Controller, serve as one of the primary interfaces with Aspen's external audit firm/s and banks in the execution of the company's tax preparation, year-end review, year-end close and normal cash management functions.
- Assist the Controller in maintaining compliance with loan covenants inherent in Aspen's banking agreement/s and any additional reporting requirements stemming from agreements with suppliers, customers and governmental agencies.
- Assist the Controller in the review, coordination, and maintenance of adequate insurance coverage for the company's commercial and operational risks.
- Work with all levels of functional management within Aspen to create an environment conducive to a culture of service orientation and continuous improvement.
What's in It for YouHigh profile impact
International expansion is one of our highest corporate strategic priorities, and you will develop best practices that we can apply as we enter new countries and regions. You'll also get recognition for process improvements you implement.
Build a career home
As part of reorganizing the department, we are taking a proactive approach to professional development and succession planning. This includes investing in ways to enhance our culture and promote development of both technical and leadership skills. As you help us manage the growth that will create opportunities, you'll be able to demonstrate your potential for advancing to the Controller position. Growth may also create entirely new roles that may be of interest to you.
Award-winning products enhance the quality of people's lives
Backed by over 25 years of R&D, Aspen Medical Products help patients cope with chronic conditions, manage pain, and heal faster (see testimonials in the video above). Our innovative approach and strong business model have earned us distinctions. In addition to the workplace excellence awards mentioned above, we have won:
- Several Spine Technology Awards from Orthopedics This Week.
- The American Technology Award, in the medical device category, from TechAmerica Foundation.
- Awards for delivering exceptional service as a vendor, from Hanger/SPS, a leading distributor of orthotic and prosthetic patient care and therapeutic products, services and solutions.
- And others.
You will find a close-knit culture that values mutual respect at Aspen. The numerous "Best Places to Work" awards we've won represent high levels of employee satisfaction (as reported by employees) as well as excellence in benefits, pay, work/life balance and culture.
Our Employee Council puts together a variety of events that enhance teamwork and allow us to have fun. We might go to see the Angels play, go bowling or spend the day at Knott's Berry Farm. Your family is enthusiastically invited to these events and each event is 100% paid for by the company. The destinations for our company trips vary. We might head for Palm Desert, Las Vegas or Santa Barbara . . . or maybe you'll suggest a destination. We also get involved in community and philanthropic activities, as you can see in the video.
Competitive benefits package
The health, satisfaction and security of you and your family are important to your well-being and important to us. We offer a competitive salary and bonus potential; medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family; life insurance; paid vacation; and a 401(k) plan with company match.
Video: Aspen Medical Products has been involved with the Challenged Athletes Foundation since 2000. Through donation, fundraising and volunteering, Aspen employees unify to support the CAF in numerous ways. Since 2009, Aspen has held the privilege of being the title sponsor of the Aspen Medical Products San Diego Triathlon Challenge.
Keys to SuccessYour technical expertise will be essential, but dynamic and energetic leadership skills will be just as important. You'll play an important role in two key initiatives:
- Working with all levels of functional management within Aspen to create a culture that promotes a service orientation and continuous improvement
- Consistently working toward developing an accounting team that is technically competent, respected by their peers, viewed as trustworthy, and stands out in comparison to other companies.
- Build relationships and not silos, both within the accounting/finance group and across functional lines.
- Support your direct reports, empowering them and helping them achieve professional goals.
- Engage your team in decision-making processes.
- Motivate the team to hold themselves to high standards, in part by modeling that behavior.
About UsTruly Innovative Patient Care for the Upper and Lower Spine
Founded in 1993, Aspen Medical Products is a leader in the design, development and marketing of upper and lower spinal orthotics. The Company is located in Irvine, California and has sales representatives throughout the United States as well as representation worldwide. For over twenty years, the management team and employees at Aspen have introduced a continuous flow of pioneering spinal bracing products and services to the healthcare marketplace. Aspen is a U.S. based company that is debt free and privately owned.
We make the best spinal braces in the world and run a company we can be proud of.
Goals from the Beginning
- Develop the best products in the industry.
- Develop products that enhance the quality of life.
- Have a culture where employees are respected, have input, and are part of the team.
- Be a company where employees look forward to coming to work each day.