The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Accounting Operations Manager opportunity, you should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or a related field; an MBA or other relevant advanced degree is preferred.
- 7+ years of experience managing accounts receivable and payable functions.
- 7+ years of experience supervising teams.
- Working knowledge of regulations and industry trends in the areas of AP, AR, and credit & collections.
- International experience.
- Experience driving process improvements and efficiencies, ideally including automation.
- eCommerce experience is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting.
- Familiarity with ERP systems.
- Advanced Excel and proficient Word skills.
- Proven strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate others.
- The ability to effectively work across functions and levels in the organization to facilitate efficiency and alignment.
- A strong service orientation.
- Solid communication and interpersonal abilities.
- The ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with objectivity and discretion.
- Sound business judgment.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
Role OverviewNote: this is a high-level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, you will supervise a team that includes a Lead AR Specialist, AP Specialist, AR/AP Specialist and Credit & Collections Specialist.
This is a key role in the department and you'll be responsible for all activities in the accounts receivable, accounts payable and credit & collections functions, both domestic and international. This includes identifying, recording, and reporting the transactional business of the Company in accordance with GAAP. It also includes various accounting activities, such as determining and reporting on KPIs, preparing or approving journal entries, reconciliations, financial analyses, cash forecasting and reporting, credit and collections, assisting with the year-end review by external auditors, and support of budget and forecast activities. Establishing and maintaining appropriate systems of internal controls are an essential function of this role.
One of your primary ongoing objectives will be automating, improving and streamlining processes. This will include acting as lead in facilitating/developing the AR/AP interfaces with the ERP and other ancillary systems.
A significant responsibility of this position is directing and developing the personnel performing these functions, working closely and effectively with other departments in the company (e.g. Operations, Purchasing and Sales) to ensure there are adequate internal controls and continuous improvement in policies and procedures related to these functions. Supervision will involve directing and overseeing the work of the teams, achieving a balanced division of work across available resources, optimizing and/or automating processes and minimizing overtime.
We'll also look to you to work closely with department leadership to help build, develop and direct a Finance/Accounting team that provides value to the organization and operates with a mindset of continuous improvement consistent with Aspen's corporate culture and growth objectives.
Pictured: Aspen Fit. Aspen Quality. Aspen Advantage. The Horizon™ 456 is designed to provide motion restriction, creating a dynamic environment for healing within the thoracolumbar and lumbar spine.
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of responsibilities. To get the 30,000-foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
As Accounting Operations Manager, you will:
- Manage month end close, including:
- Preparing and reviewing journal entries, bad debt reserves, preparing reconciliations, preparing analyses of accounts receivable, allowance for doubtful accounts and accounts payable.
- Participating in preparation of monthly management reporting.
- Measuring and reporting on KPIs and providing actionable recommendations.
- Direct and develop your team, ensuring balanced workload. You'll also assess and execute optimal organization of the department by automation, streamlining processes, developing strengths of employees, cross training, etc.
- Manage the credit and collections process through continuing education of staff and Sales team. This will include:
- Incorporating skills for international analyses.
- Examining methods of assessing credit worthiness and assigning appropriate credit limits and terms for new customers in a timely manner.
- Leverage good business judgment and understanding of company's risk criteria and tolerance.
- Determine and measure KPIs related to accounts receivable and payable, including DSO and DPO. You'll provide actionable reporting and recommendations to management, and prepare and distribute daily/weekly/monthly metrics reports.
- Manage all aspects of accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Develop modeling and prepare inputs needed for cash projections including cash receipts and outflows.
- Support international growth and expansion by providing input regarding the handling of accounts payable/receivable, collections, and sales tax.
- Support our eCommerce project by acting as lead in ensuring the AR and banking interfaces function efficiently and effectively. Partner with the team to ensure the project is completed timely and within budget.
- Serve as lead in process improvement and automation including developing and/or facilitating interfaces with ERP or other ancillary systems in order to streamline workload and improve internal controls.
- Provide required inputs into the preparation of the annual department plan and ongoing forecasts.
- Assist with other Accounting and Finance department projects as needed.
What's in It for YouVisible impact
In addition to ensuring smooth day-to-day operations, you will drive positive changes in a number of areas. We still practice some manual processes, and we see AR and AP as an ideal place to implement automation and other efficiencies. You'll also have input as we roll out a new eCommerce and ERP platform. You'll interact with people in a wide variety of departments, and your achievements will be recognized.
Build a career home
As part of reorganizing the department, we are taking a proactive approach to professional development and succession planning. This includes investing in ways to enhance our culture and promote development of both technical and leadership skills. The new structure allows for strong performers to pursue lateral or vertical opportunities. Our growth may also create entirely new roles that may be of interest to you.
Award-winning products enhance the quality of people's lives
Backed by over 25 years of R&D, Aspen Medical Products help patients cope with chronic conditions, manage pain, and heal faster (see testimonials in the video above). Our innovative approach and strong business model have earned us distinctions. In addition to the workplace excellence awards mentioned above, we have won:
- Several Spine Technology Awards from Orthopedics This Week.
- The American Technology Award, in the medical device category, from TechAmerica Foundation.
- Awards for delivering exceptional service as a vendor, from Hanger/SPS, a leading distributor of orthotic and prosthetic patient care and therapeutic products, services and solutions.
- And others.
You will find a close-knit culture that values mutual respect at Aspen. The numerous "Best Places to Work" awards we've won represent high levels of employee satisfaction (as reported by employees) as well as excellence in benefits, pay, work/life balance and culture.
Our Employee Council puts together a variety of events that enhance teamwork and allow us to have fun. We might go to see the Angels play, go bowling or spend the day at Knott's Berry Farm. Your family is enthusiastically invited to these events and each event is 100% paid for by the company. The destinations for our company trips vary. We might head for Palm Desert, Las Vegas or Santa Barbara . . . or maybe you'll suggest a destination. We also get involved in community and philanthropic activities, as you can see in the video.
Competitive benefits package
The health, satisfaction and security of you and your family are important to your well-being and important to us. We offer a competitive salary and bonus potential; medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family; life insurance; paid vacation; and a 401(k) plan with company match.
Video: Aspen Medical Products has been involved with the Challenged Athletes Foundation since 2000. Through donation, fundraising and volunteering, Aspen employees unify to support the CAF in numerous ways. Since 2009, Aspen has held the privilege of being the title sponsor of the Aspen Medical Products San Diego Triathlon Challenge.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will bring a process improvement focus and a fair degree of technological savvy -- you should have a knack not only for seeing opportunities to make changes, but also for envisioning how technology can be at the center of the solutions. You'll need energetic leadership skills as you help drive two important initiatives:
- Creating a culture that promotes a customer service orientation and continuous improvement.
- Developing an accounting team that is technically competent, respected by their peers, viewed as trustworthy, and stands out in comparison to other companies.
- Build relationships and not silos, both within the accounting/finance group and across functional lines.
- Support your direct reports, empowering them and helping them achieve professional goals.
- Engage your team in decision-making processes.
- Motivate the team to hold themselves to high standards, in part by modeling that behavior.
About UsTruly Innovative Patient Care for the Upper and Lower Spine
Founded in 1993, Aspen Medical Products is a leader in the design, development and marketing of upper and lower spinal orthotics. The Company is located in Irvine, California and has sales representatives throughout the United States as well as representation worldwide. For over twenty years, the management team and employees at Aspen have introduced a continuous flow of pioneering spinal bracing products and services to the healthcare marketplace. Aspen is a U.S. based company that is debt free and privately owned.
We make the best spinal braces in the world and run a company we can be proud of.
Goals from the Beginning
- Develop the best products in the industry.
- Develop products that enhance the quality of life.
- Have a culture where employees are respected, have input, and are part of the team.
- Be a company where employees look forward to coming to work each day.