The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Senior Accountant opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting.
- 5+ years of general accounting experience, including:
- Knowledge of accounting for international operations and financial statement consolidation.
- Demonstrated technical accounting skills and a solid understanding of GAAP are required.
- Demonstrated skills in preparing and/or reviewing journal entries, reviewing account reconciliations and performing advanced variance analysis.
- Solid technological proficiency, including:
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, including the ability to conceptualize and design models, use pivot tables and VLOOKUP, etc.
- Experience working with ERP systems.
- Intermediate skills in MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with and working knowledge of current tech trends.
- An auditor mentality and a habit of diligently checking work for accuracy and completeness.
- Proven leadership skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others, and proactive verbal communication style.
- The ability to track and manage multiple projects simultaneously and comply with critical deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with objectivity and discretion.
- A CPA, CMA and/or MBA.
- Public accounting experience.
- Experience with sales and use tax.
- Experience with travel/expense management software, ideally Concur.
Role OverviewReporting to the General Accounting Manager, you will join a sub-group in accounting and finance that also includes a General Ledger Accountant.
We view this position as a key member of the Accounting/Finance team. Key objectives will include:
- Helping lead month and year-end close, including accounting for international operations, preparation of consolidated financial statements, audit and management schedules, analysis, and research.
- Overseeing the administration of state sales and use tax returns and other tax related matters.
- Assisting with preparation of the annual budget.
- Supporting the company's international growth.
We'll also look to you to support department efforts to build, develop and direct a Finance/Accounting team that provides value to the organization and operates with a mindset of continuous improvement consistent with Aspen's corporate culture and growth objectives.
Pictured: Aspen Fit. Aspen Quality. Aspen Advantage. The Horizon™ 456 is designed to provide motion restriction, creating a dynamic environment for healing within the thoracolumbar and lumbar spine.
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of responsibilities. To get the 30,000-foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
As Senior Accountant you will:
- Lead financial statement preparation and analysis, including accounting for international operations, and assist in providing schedules and commentary for management reporting.
- Prepare intercompany elimination entries and consolidated financial statements.
- Provide meaningful variance analysis.
- Develop financial reporting templates to improve reporting and analysis.
- Manage the outsourced sales and use tax returns and annual report processes, review results, and present to Manager for final signoff.
- Handle Sales and Use Tax maintenance, including:
- Maintaining current applicable tax rates in system (exports and uploads) and ensuring documentation/retention of appropriate exemption certificates.
- Establishing and implementing processes to determine taxability of new customers and ensure proper setup in system.
- Verifying accuracy of invoicing for sales tax.
- Oversee other taxes, licenses and registrations, including:
- Maintaining a schedule of deadlines, and ensure accurate, timely filing of other business taxes, property taxes, licenses and registrations.
- Communicating with outside CPAs and performing independent research to monitor changing tax regulations and their impact on the company.
- Identifying other areas of tax planning and compliance as needed.
- Support payroll, commission and bonus processes, including:
- Coordinating with HR and outside payroll company to manage payroll accounting.
- Preparing quarterly calculations of commissions and bonuses.
- Preparing and posting monthly journal entries to record compensation-related costs.
- Reconciling accounts, analyzing variances and resolving notices and discrepancies. Assisting with maintaining documented comp plans.
- Tracking and preparing schedule of taxable fringe benefits.
- Support budgeting and forecasting, including:
- Preparing annual budget for all compensation related accounts, including payroll, commissions, bonuses, payroll taxes, benefits, 401k, etc.
- Preparing forecasts of eligible payroll costs for workers' comp insurance policy.
- Under the guidance of the General Accounting Manager, be a primary contact with outside auditors.
- Prepare assigned year-end audit and tax schedules, and research and resolve auditor questions.
- Administer the Concur travel/expense program, including:
- Providing management reporting on T&E spend, downloading, reviewing and posting weekly T&E data to general ledger.
- Researching and learning about Concur platform to better utilize and increase value for the Company and employees.
- Increasing the Company's knowledge base of Concur.
- Preparing mileage and other reports as requested.
- Assist the Manager in supporting the company's international growth by developing policies and procedures to ensure proper controls are in place and accounting is in accordance with GAAP.
- Provide guidance and assistance to team members.
- Handle other projects and tasks as needed.
What's in It for YouLeadership impact
In addition to taking a lead role in key accounting functions, you'll be heavily involved in our international growth, including automating and streamlining consolidation processes. You will act as the General Accounting Manager's right hand, helping ensure proper controls and implementing process improvements.
Build a career home
As part of reorganizing the department, we are taking a proactive approach to professional development and succession planning. This includes investing in ways to enhance our culture and promote development of both technical and leadership skills. Once you've proven yourself in this role you might set your sights on the General Accounting Manager position, or move into other areas, such as cost accounting or planning & analysis. Growth may also create entirely new roles that may be of interest to you.
Award-winning products enhance the quality of people's lives
Backed by over 25 years of R&D, Aspen Medical Products help patients cope with chronic conditions, manage pain, and heal faster (see testimonials in the video above). Our innovative approach and strong business model have earned us distinctions. In addition to the workplace excellence awards mentioned above, we have won:
- Several Spine Technology Awards from Orthopedics This Week.
- The American Technology Award, in the medical device category, from TechAmerica Foundation.
- Awards for delivering exceptional service as a vendor, from Hanger/SPS, a leading distributor of orthotic and prosthetic patient care and therapeutic products, services and solutions.
- And others.
You will find a close-knit culture that values mutual respect at Aspen. The numerous "Best Places to Work" awards we've won represent high levels of employee satisfaction (as reported by employees) as well as excellence in benefits, pay, work/life balance and culture.
Our Employee Council puts together a variety of events that enhance teamwork and allow us to have fun. We might go to see the Angels play, go bowling or spend the day at Knott's Berry Farm. Your family is enthusiastically invited to these events and each event is 100% paid for by the company. The destinations for our company trips vary. We might head for Palm Desert, Las Vegas or Santa Barbara . . . or maybe you'll suggest a destination. We also get involved in community and philanthropic activities, as you can see in the video.
Competitive benefits package
The health, satisfaction and security of you and your family are important to your well-being and important to us. We offer a competitive salary and bonus potential; medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family; life insurance; paid vacation; and a 401(k) plan with company match.
Video: Aspen Medical Products has been involved with the Challenged Athletes Foundation since 2000. Through donation, fundraising and volunteering, Aspen employees unify to support the CAF in numerous ways. Since 2009, Aspen has held the privilege of being the title sponsor of the Aspen Medical Products San Diego Triathlon Challenge.
Keys to SuccessYour technical expertise will be essential, but energetic leadership skills will be just as important. You'll support two important initiatives:
- Creating a culture that promotes a service orientation and continuous improvement.
- Developing an accounting team that is technically competent, respected by their peers, viewed as trustworthy, and stands out in comparison to other companies.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Senior Accountant, you will:
- Hold yourself to high standards.
- Leverage analytical skills and creativity to solve problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate initiative and independence in achieving goals.
- Build collaborative relationships both within the accounting/finance group and across functional lines.
About UsTruly Innovative Patient Care for the Upper and Lower Spine
Founded in 1993, Aspen Medical Products is a leader in the design, development and marketing of upper and lower spinal orthotics. The Company is located in Irvine, California and has sales representatives throughout the United States as well as representation worldwide. For over twenty years, the management team and employees at Aspen have introduced a continuous flow of pioneering spinal bracing products and services to the healthcare marketplace. Aspen is a U.S. based company that is debt free and privately owned.
We make the best spinal braces in the world and run a company we can be proud of.
Goals from the Beginning
- Develop the best products in the industry.
- Develop products that enhance the quality of life.
- Have a culture where employees are respected, have input, and are part of the team.
- Be a company where employees look forward to coming to work each day.